FREE Personal Injury Claims Quiz

Take My Free Quiz Now!
(719) 757-1182

Police can’t keep you in jail without charging you

October 12, 2020 – admin – Criminal Defense

Criminal Defense Lawyer in Colorado Springs | Call 719-757-1182

Any encounter with police is an opportunity for the violation of your rights. However, if officers arrest you, you face a new level of concern for your future. An arrest can be a frightening and confusing event, and everything around you may seem very strange and surreal. While it may be easy to become overwhelmed, it is important to understand what is happening and what you can expect.

Perhaps the most important thing on your mind is when police will release you from jail. If authorities have not charged you, the clock is ticking. They cannot hold you forever without formally charging you with a crime, and you should be aware that your Constitutional rights may be on the line.

Your right to a speedy trial

Foley Law Firm Felony Jail 300x231 1 1The time you spend in jail after your arrest is the time prosecutors use to gather evidence and decide what charges, if any, to file against you. It is a busy time for investigators, but your main concerns may include your personal safety, the welfare of your family and whether you will still have a job when this madness is over.

The Constitution protects your right to a speedy trial, and part of that protection involves the length of time you remain in jail after your arrest and before your trail. While it may seem like an eternity, officials have a limited amount of time, usually 72 hours, to decide whether to charge you and whether they have enough evidence to take to court and convince a jury. A speedy trial is critical in criminal matters because of the following:

  • Since you have not been convicted, you should not have to spend an unreasonable amount of time behind bars.
  • Waiting for your trial is stressful, and a long pre-trail incarceration can unnecessarily exacerbate that anxiety.
  • As time passes, evidence you may use to defend yourself may suffer damage, such as the memory of witnesses.

If authorities detain you without formal charges longer than Colorado law allows, you have options for pursuing a resolution. For example, your attorney can file a writ of habeas corpus that asks the court to compel police to present your case to the judge for a decision about whether they are holding you lawfully. Because so much is on the line, it is wise to seek the counsel of a dedicated and focused attorney who will be fully prepared to defend your rights.

Related Blog Posts

Criminal Defense Lawyer in Colorado Springs | Call 719-757-1182

Do the police always have to tell you why they’re arresting you?

In many cases, the police are going to tell you why you’re being arrested. They could show up with a warrant, or the arrest may be pretty obvious — such…

Criminal Defense Lawyer in Colorado Springs | Call 719-757-1182


According to the U.S. Courts website, the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution protects an individual from “unreasonable searches and seizures” to their homes, cars and persons without consent. Upholding…

Criminal Defense Lawyer in Colorado Springs | Call 719-757-1182

Police tunnel vision can lead to wrongful convictions

When a crime attracts a significant amount of media attention in Colorado and around the country, the detectives assigned to investigate it are often put under great pressure to make…

Criminal Defense Lawyer in Colorado Springs | Call 719-757-1182

Knowing your rights when facing charges for sex offenses

If you have been accused of sex crimes in Colorado, whether you are guilty or not, you must know what your rights are. For example, you have the right to…

Personal Injury Lawyer in Colorado Springs | Call 719-757-1182

Our Location

Pease Enter Your Name and Number For Callback

Request A Call Back