On Behalf of The Foley Law Firm | June 8, 2018
| Criminal Defense
The human race is divided into cultures that are vastly different from one another, and thousands of miles away from one another. Nevertheless, human nature is human nature and it seems the people tend to get accused of the same kinds of crimes no matter what part of the planet we visit.
With this in mind, here are the 10 most common crimes throughout the world:
- Domestic violence: Families fight and sometimes they hurt one another physically. When an individual hurts a romantic partner, family member or cohabitant, it's considered domestic violence in most situations.
- Fraud: There are so many kinds of fraud, but largely this crime consists of a dishonest or illegal action with the intention of gaining financially.
- Prostitution: The selling of one's body is common throughout the world. In some countries, prostitution is legal. In other countries like the United States, it's generally unlawful to engage in such activities and those involved in prostitution face the threat of serious criminal punishments.
- Murder: Although the definition of what constitutes murder might vary throughout the world, generally speaking, there are no societies on earth in which murder is acceptable.
- Robbery: Robberies happen when someone, usually through the threat of violence or by pick-pocketing, takes the possessions that belong to someone else.
- Drug crimes: Governments seek to monitor and control the movement of controlled substances like marijuana, cocaine and heroin. This has created a massive black market in which people illegally make, grow, sell and distribute these substances.
- Assault: Whether it's general physical violence, the threat of physical violence or physical violence that' sexual in nature, assault is unlawful throughout the world.
- Theft: Theft is the taking of something that doesn't belong to you. It's one of the oldest and most common crimes in history.
As with all crimes and criminal accusations, the question of whether the accused person is guilty is another story isn't always entirely clear. For this reason, we have the criminal justice system to try and sort out guilt and administer judgment. Fortunately for those accused of crimes in the United States, they will remain innocent unless they are proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
Source: Elitist10, "10 Most Commonly Committed Crimes Around the World," accessed June 08, 2018